Sat, Aug 28|
City Club of Boise Tour: Shoshone-Bannock Fish Station at Pettit Lake
Join City Club for a tour of the recently completed fish weir at Pettit Lake.
Time & Location
Aug 28, 2021, 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM MDT
Blaine County, Pettit Lake, Idaho 83340, USA
About the Event
The Shoshone Bannock Tribes recently completed construction of a fish weir on the outlet stream of Pettit Lake in the Stanley Basin. This site will better monitor and help fish biologists gather specific data in an effort to restore sockeye salmon runs, by tagging and tracking out-migrating juvenile sockeye salmon from Pettit Lake as well as counting, trapping and processing returning adult sockeyes. Despite poor conditions for migrating salmon in recent years, Pettit Lake saw its first salmon return to the lake in decades.
On Saturday, August 28th, City Club of Boise members are invited to join the Shoshone Bannock Tribes at Pettit Lake where they are hosting a full day of events:
- 11:00 a.m. - Pettit Lake Weir Tour - Meet at weir location, approximately 1 mile from the Pettit Lake campground, off of Highway 75. Kurt Tardy, Snake River Sockeye Manager, Shoshone-Bannock Tribes, will lead the group through the engineering of the weir as well as discuss the technology used to monitor salmon activity.
- Redd Tour Opportunities** - Meet your Tour Guide at the Stanley Museum and drive to a location on the Salmon River along Highway 75 to view any returning salmon (buses may** be provided) at 1:00 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- 1:00 p.m. - Vendor booths and educational activities presented by various organizations at the Stanley Museum
- 5:00 p.m. - Shoshone-Bannock Tribes Sockeye Recovery Program Presentation - Stanley Museum **
- 6:00 p.m. - Idaho Energy and Salmon Concept Presentation by Congressman Mike Simpson - Stanley Museum **
City Club members- once you register for this event, you may want to secure lodging in Stanley or the Ketchum areas, as well as check for available camp sites in the area through https://www.recreation.gov/
**We will let you know (as soon as we receive confirmation) if there will be additional charges for the Redd shuttles and presentations by Kurt Tardy and Congressman Simpson.